Before

Friday, April 12, 2013 0 Comments

I'm starting this post at 11:30am. About four hours ago, I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. I tried for an hour, then got up.

I was a little disappointed that my mission call didn't come yesterday, but I knew that it was coming, and I've learned my lesson (for now) about God's timing. So I turned off my alarm, which hadn't even gone off yet, got on my knees and prayed a good morning to my Father in Heaven, asking him to let me feel His love for His children that I would soon be assigned to labor with. I stopped asking to love where I was called when I realized that it's not where, but who I serve that is important.

I had a dentist's appointment at 10, so I started to get dressed. I've been anxious, unable to sleep, since yesterday, so it took me longer than usual to wake up. I got dressed, making sure to be cute because there will be a PBS film crew on campus today.


About two hours ago, I couldn't take it any more. I knew that the mail didn't usually come until 10, but who can wait when a mission call is on the line? I went downstairs and slowly opened the door. I saw a large white envelope peeking out of the top of my mailbox.

I took it out, read the "Office of the First Presidency" on the front, then started yelling to my housemates.

I called my family and friends.

I went to the dentist.

Now I'm sitting here with my mission call on my lap. I open it at 4:30pm. That's in 5 hours.

After getting over the first rush of adrenaline, I'm feeling pretty calm, actually. Maybe not prepared to find out where I will spend the next one year, six months of my life... But calm. I know that's a blessing from my Heavenly Father, because there's no way I could concentrate in class today if my hands were still shaking from excitement.

I also know it's a blessing that I intern on Friday afternoons instead of Friday mornings, because a) I wouldn't have been able to get my mission call until after 1:30 if it wasn't, and b) I have something to keep my mind somewhat occupied until I get to open my call.

...Hopefully.

Surprise, my secret legal first name is ^

0 comments: